What is self-care?
Self-care is nourishing your mind, body, and soul in a gentle, no-judgment, forgiving way.
Ultimately, your self-care depends upon what fills YOU up, and that can look different for everyone.
But, here are a few examples of self-care:
- Reading a few pages of a book while sipping a cup of tea.
- Practicing yoga.
- Waking up early and reflecting or meditating.
- Doing something that you enjoy doing for fun.
- Going on a walk.
- Making yourself a healthy meal.
And, here are a few examples of what self-care isn’t:
- Forcing yourself to workout when you are injured or aren’t feeling well.
- Helping others when you are the one who needs a break.
- Sitting down to read a book, but feeling guilty because you should be doing something productive instead.
- Scrolling through social media, news articles, or emails.
7 questions you should ask yourself before saying no to yourself
- Am I saying no because that’s easier?
- Am I saying no because I think I don’t deserve it?
- Am I saying no because I am avoiding my problems?
- Am I saying no because changing is harder than staying the same?
- Am I saying no because I’d rather complain than take action?
- Am I saying no because I feel guilty saying yes?
- Am I saying no because I say I don’t think that I have the time?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you might want to start a self-care routine.
Give yourself permission to say yes to YOU
The reason I know all of this is because I am guilty of neglecting myself.
Once I became a mom, I completely stopped taking time for myself.
But, when I finally learned how to start saying yes to myself again a lot of things happened.
- I became less stressed.
- I became more confident and less anxious.
- My kids became more confident and less anxious.
- My marriage got stronger.
- Overwhelm and exhaustion no longer rules my life.
- I am accepting of myself.
Remember, self-care does not need to be complicated, or even take a long time or cost a lot of money. It’s simply putting YOU first again. And, that’s okay. Actually, it’s necessary.
So, tell me, how do you take time for yourself? And, check out this video on how to celebrate YOU.
PS – Have you taken the Brave & Bold Challenge yet? Your life is waiting.